Romie is a specialist in commercial, property and professional negligence law. His experience covers a vast range of work in these fields, and the breadth and specialisation in his practice and career give him a commanding position.
He is frequently instructed in cases involving complex issues and commercial sensitivity, often calling for original presentation and the identification of novel solutions.
His practice includes considerable advisory work, and he has extensive experience of international commercial arbitration.
Annually lauded in the guides to the legal profession and has been recognised as “one of the better known names at the Bar“. He is described by his peers as a “brilliant tactician, thinks outside the box and is an amazing trial lawyer.” “His attention to detail is phenomenal.” and “His examination is just outstanding.” (Chambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2021).
He has been described as a “ferocious, tenacious and really top notch” advocate who you “want on your side” that “always finds solutions when problems arise” (Chambers and Partners Global Guide 2021). “Romie’s knowledge and understanding of the law is outstanding and his ability and willingness to take on new and difficult cases is a key strength of his” (Legal 500 UK Bar Guide 2021).
- Rajan Russell  EWHC 41 (Ch)
Claims of former partner arising a property development joint venture including conspiracy, including lost opportunity of venture continuing.
- Vneshprombank LLC v Bedzhamov  EWCA Civ 1992
Determination by the Court of Appeal of issues relating to the role of the court in freezing injunction cases, with a lavish lifestyle and high-level of legal costs.
- Al-Nesnas v Al-Najar  EWCA Civ 1619
Summary judgement in a case involving investment in property ventures, following fraudulent misrepresentations and misappropriation.
- Neil v Henderson  EWHC 90 (Ch)
Contempt of court proceedings relating to the use of forged documents, and a forged signature on a witness statement.
- Petroleum Co of Trinidad & Tobago Ltd v Ryan  UKPC 30
Claims for environmental damage from a capped oil well, where the Privy Council considered the appropriate approach to causation on policy grounds.
- Dell Emerging Markets v IB Maroc.com SA  EWHC 2397 (Comm)
Jurisdiction to grant an anti-suit injunction in a claim by a non-party to the contract, seeking a quasi-contractual injunction to enforce a jurisdiction clause.
- Vincent Tchenguiz v Grant Thornton & ors  EWHC 3727 (Comm)
Summary judgement where the defendants could rely on an earlier settlement agreement.
- Barnsley v Noble  EWCA Civ 799
Court of Appeal considering the proper interpretation of an exoneration clause, relieving trustees under will trusts from personal liability for breaches of duty.
- Rabiu & ors v Marlbray Ltd  EWCA Civ 476
Contract enforceable in a contract naming two purchasers against the one that signed. The Court of Appeal also considered the right to forfeit a deposit paid under a void contract.
- Creative Foundation v Dreamland Leisure Ltd  Ch 253Entitlement of tenant to remove a Banksy from an external wall, relying on repairing covenant.
- Ramsay v Love  EWHC 65 (Ch)
Guarantee of leased signed with a ‘Ghost Writer’. Extent of authority, and doctrine of estoppel by negligence.
- Zarbafi v Zarbafi  EWCA Civ 1267 /  1 WLR 4122
Court of Appeal consider standing as litigation friend in the context of conflicting interests, and protection by injunction where threats to vulnerable adult.
- Barnsley v Noble  EWHC 2657 (Ch)
Requirements for enforceable oral agreement; extent of scope of exoneration clause in a will where self-dealing by executor.
- Group Seven Ltd v Allied Investment Corp Ltd  1 WLR 735
Freezing injunction does not extend to assets belonging to a company owned or controlled by defendant.
- Serious Organised Crime Agency v Szepietowski  UKSC 65  AC 338
Remedy of marshalling not available to second mortgagee where the common property did not secure a debt owed by the mortgagor.
- Mellor v Partridge  EWCA CIV 477
Court of Appeal considered the constituents of fraudulent misrepresentation claim relating to the sale of a business, as well as the application of the reflective less doctrine to quantum and difficult causation issues
- Fanfare Properties Ltd v Grafton Estate No.2 LP (Nominee One) Ltd  EWHC 2918 (Ch)
Represented adjoining landowner enforcing rights under a deal threatened by a major Mayfair office development.
- Ibrahim v Barclays Bank Plc  EWCA Civ 640  Ch 400
Court of Appeal considered subrogation in the context of a letter of credit, and analysed the effect in law of the disclosure of the draft by the bank issuing the letter of credit.
- Baturina v Times Newspapers Ltd  EWCA Civ 308
Clarifies the law relating to innuendo in defamation arising in the contect of overseas sales of an English newspaper.
- Innovatis Investment Fund Ltd v Ejder Group Ltd  EWHC 1851 (Norris J.)
Obtained judgment at trial for over US$4m under a disputed ‘repo’ agreement concerning a Lehman Brothers Medium Term Basket Note with a face value of US$7m. This was the first reported decision in which the High Court has considered the legal nature of a securities repurchase agreement. The case also concerned issues of an agent’s liability under a contract in the context of securities trading.
- Good Harvest Partnership v Centaur Services Ltd  NPL 22
Whether original guarantor’s guarantee of assignee is enforceable under 1995 Covenants Act.
- Transview Properties Ltd v City Site Properties Ltd  EWCA Civ 1255
Admissibility of fresh evidence on appeal; rectification of override liabilities under a sale contract.
- Pocket Kings Ltd v Safenames Ltd & Kentucky  EWHC 2529 (Ch)
US state of Kentucky not a state for the purposes of the State Immunity Act 1978.
- Invertec Ltd v de Mol Holdings BV  EWHC 2471 (Ch)
Liability for fraudulent warranties in share sale agreement, and extent of liability for post-completion losses including loss of opportunity claims.
- Welford v EDF Energy Networks (2007) 24 EG 170
Court of Appeal upheld finding of Lands Tribunal that compensation for loss of profits not too remote in law in compulsory purchase and similar cases where investment in land made in anticipation of starting a business, even though that business did not trade.
- Bexley London Borough Council v Maison Maurice Ltd  2 EG 124
Local authority precluded by estoppels from denying access to public highway.
- Capita Trust (Channel Islands) Ltd v Chatham Maritime J3 Devps Ltd  2 L & TR 2
Mandatory injunction requiring grant of underlease under estate management obligations of lease.
- Halpern v Halpern  2 Lloyd’s Rep 83
Conflict of laws, application of Shamil Bank of Bahrain EC v Beximco Pharmaceuticals Ltd & Ors  1 WLR 1784 to Jewish law and to a compromise agreement embodied in an arbitration award.
- Rajan Russell  EWHC 41 (Ch)