Matt has built a busy and wide-ranging practice since becoming a tenant in 2021. He happily accepts instructions across all of Selborne’s core practice areas:
- Real Estate Law;
- Commercial Law;
- Insolvency and Company Law;
- Private Client Law.
As well as providing drafting and advisory services, Matt frequently appears as sole counsel in the County Court, the Insolvency and Companies Court, and the High Court. The drop-down menus below provide more detail on Matt’s diverse practice at Selborne. In addition, Matt has spent time on secondment at a boutique property law firm, enabling him to gain a greater understanding of the service required by solicitors.
Before coming to the Bar, Matt gained a First in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford, where he was awarded multiple academic scholarships, before going on to complete the Graduate Diploma in Law at City University with Distinction. After completing the Bar Professional Training Course, he was called to the Bar by Middle Temple, following which he undertook pupillage at a top tier set of commercial chancery chambers.
A large part of Matt’s practice involves the resolution of business disputes. In particular, Matt has experience in the following areas:
- Contractual disputes
- Compromise agreements
- Bills of exchange
- Penalty clauses
- Guarantees and indemnities
- Asset tracing
- Exemption clauses
Company and Insolvency
Matt acts and advises in a range of company and insolvency-related disputes. His recent experience has involved:
- Winding-Up and Unfair Prejudice Petitions
- Company restoration
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Applications under s125 of the Companies Act 2006
- Directors’ Duties
Media and Entertainment
Matt has gained experience in the media and entertainment sector. Recent work has included:
- Drafting a Defence and Counterclaim in proceedings concerning the sale of a television company
- Drafting a Defence for a major national newspaper in a contractual dispute with one of its customers
- Carrying out legal research into injunctions against persons unknown (as third six pupil)
Matt is familiar with acting in, and advising on, many areas of property litigation, including:
- Commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes, including: possession proceedings, break notices, the 1954 Act, forfeiture, dilapidations, consents, leasehold enfranchisement, service charges.
- A wide variety of real property disputes, including: TOLATA claims, adverse possession, land registration, proprietary estoppel, easements.
- Nuisance and property-related negligence.
- The Telecommunications Code.
- Drafting proceedings, including an application for interim injunctive relief, for a Claimant nightclub after its landlord wrongly sought to forfeit its lease by peaceable re-entry.
- Advising on the proper construction of a service charge covenant, and whether certain costs were recoverable by my landlord client.
- Advising a tenant client on whether it had effectively exercised a break clause in its lease, and subsequently advising on consequential matters when settling the dispute.
- Advising on the landlord’s requirement to provide landlord’s certificate for the purposes of the Building Safety Act 2022 and associated secondary legislation.
Matt undertakes work in relation to a range of trust and estate disputes. Recent experience includes:
- The validity of wills
- Trusts of land